Come along and support our very own Brenda and Ruth who will be competing in the area contests for evaluations and World Champion of Public Speaking.
Details are as follows:
Saturday 1 March,
546 Mt Albert Road (or Enter via Grahame breed Drive off Mt Eden Rd)
08:30 – 11:30
The evaluation competition is up first and due to start at 9.05. The international (world championship of public speaking) is due to start at 10.15am.
Tuesday 11 February 2014
Kudos to all of our participants who took part in our club contests today.
Brenda, Eric and Jeremy competed in the Evaluation contest. Clinton, Ruth and Steve T competed in the International Speech contest (World Champion of Public Speaking).
Special congratulations to first-place-getters Brenda and Ruth in their respective sections. They will go onto represent the club at Area competitions.
Many thanks to our President Brenda, contest chair persons Marieke and Marlene, guest judges for helping us out and our guest speaker Kevin Weston for his inspiring story about determination and success (throwing cash into the audience as part of his opening act and breaking a wooden board with a classic karate chop were touches of brilliance).
Well done to all involved – see you pumped and ready for more at our next meeting in two weeks!
Contest meeting – Tuesday 19th February 2013
Congratulations to all of our participants in the Evaluation and International speech contests this morning. Here are the results:
Chairperson – Ben
Test speaker – Winny Kam (Harrison Rd Club)
- 1st place – Clinton
- 2nd place – Warwick
- 3rd place – Eric
International Speech Contest
Chairperson – Steve D
- 1st place – Brenda
- 2nd place – Clinton
- Tally counters – Big Dave, Mohammed
- Timer – Ruth
- Sergeant at Arms – John
Well done everyone! Many thanks to all involved, our guest speaker Winny and esteemed judges Alan, Beryl, Brendan and Marlene.
Meeting – Tuesday 23 October 2012
Theme: Dare to Dream
“If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.”
William Arthur Ward
A wonderful way to kick start the day – turn up to Central Park HQ for some inspired learning. Ruth ran a well organised meeting and was superb in the Toastmaster role.
Special congratulations to Marlene for a fantastic milestone in her Toastmasters career. She is well on her way to achieving the club’s first DTM. Well done Marlene – your personal commitment to growth has paid off and is an inspiration to us all!
- President – Jo – warm and encouraging as always in her opening address to the club.
- Toastmaster – Ruth – delightful facilitation skills, a natural presenter
- Sergeant at arms – although revelations of his recent driving habits is cause for concern – we can always count on him for freshly brewed coffee and breakfast. Thanks John!
- Hospitality – Warwick – cheerful as ever!
- Timer – Brenda – flawless like clock work!
- Grammarian – Ben – Word of the day ‘Fracas’
- TT Master – Cassia – a great range topics to test our participants
- TT Evaluators – Rhonda & Mohammed relayed some great feedback to help our impromptu speakers
- Table topic participants – Steve T shares his ideal holiday, John tests the speeding limit, Warwick defends himself as Lance Armstrong, Jo comments on Russell Crowe’s replacement options and Nadene wraps up with a report on Richie McCaw!
- Speaker 1 – Steve D – some good solid tips on managing nervousness, well done mate!
- Speaker 2 – Jeremy – impressive and informative – historical insight into the development of the Toastmasters International we know today.
- Speaker 3 – Nadene – “The gifts that are given to us” – a personal tale of some furry friends, two in particular Eric and Stan the Man (King of the Castle). RIP Eric the Cat – you will be missed.
- Evaluators – Glenn, Steve T, Glenn F all provided useful evaluations for our speakers and club members to learn from.
- General Evaluator – Marlene – thorough report of the day’s meeting
- Special guest – Kris
- Apologies – Marieke, Raj
- Semi- annuals – please contact Brenda.
- This weekend – Clinton is representing the club in the humourous contest on Sunday morning from 8.30am onwards (28 Oct) at the Mt Eden Memorial Hall! Go Clinton – all the very best!
See you all at the next meeting on 6 November!
“There will always be dreams grander or humbler than your own, but there will never be a dream exactly like your own…for you are unique and more wondrous than you know.”
Meeting – Tuesday 25 September 2012
Once again, the magnetic pull of Central Park got Toastmaster members out of bed for a 6:45am dose of inspired learning. Talk about perseverance!
Congratulations to Clinton and Brenda for their placings in the recent area contests. First place was awarded to Clinton for the Humourous contest and second place was awarded to Brenda in the Table topics contest. Well done to both of them!
- Toastmaster – Steve T – commanding presence on stage, great facilitation skills
- Sergeant at arms – John – flawless really… (does anyone have a recommendation?)
- Hospitality – Cassia – we were all greeted by the friendly smile at the front door.
- Timer – Marieke – kept everyone in sync and out the door in good time.
- Grammarian – Glenn L – Word of the day ‘Gumption’ – reported on some grammatical pearls too
- TT Master – Steve D – host with the most, great topics from “Celebrating Valerie Adams” to “I’m over Dot Com”
- TT Evaluators – Ben & John (one of these guys needs to sort out his iPhone)
- Table topic participants – Dave, Clinton , Raj , Ruth , Jeremy. Fantastic round of impromptu speaking!
- Speaker 1 – Nadene – “Do you really care?” Tips on great customer service and making people feel important.
- Speaker 2 – Tony M – the Harvey and Jeannette Crewe murders – informative and intriguing, story telling at its finest
- Speaker 3 – Troy M – personal outlets of ‘release’ – poetic, beautifully articulated and inspirational
- Evaluator 1 – Glenn F – commended for spotting ‘ums’ in the use of the word ‘gumption’, shared useful feedback for Nadene
- Evaluator 2 – Jo – thorough analysis of Tony’s speech, CSI specialist of evaluations, brilliant
- Evaluator 3 – Warwick – had everything covered too on Troy’s speech , good, balanced feedback
- General Evaluator – Brenda – gracious with the gift of growth
- Special guest – Fiona
- Apologies – Marlene, Rhonda
Reminder about semi- annuals – please see Brenda.
Next meeting (super meeting) will be on Tuesday 9 October and your Toastmaster will be Jeremy .
Beauty – see ya’ll at the next one. Go get ’em!